Monday, November 12, 2012

Russian Literature

My husband really enjoys "classic literature".  While I am a fan, I read far more popular books each year than I do classics.  He happens to be a fan of Russian literature, especially The Brothers Karamazov by Fyodor Dostoyevsky.  He steadfastly claims it to be one of the best, if not the best book, he's ever read.  For years he has been asking, pleading, beseeching me to give Russian literature a shot.  I've resisted without even batting an eye until recently.  I saw a preview for the new Anna Karenina movie staring Kira Knightly and I was intrigued.  Now, there is no way I'll finish (or even start) the book before the movie comes out.  And once I've seen the movie I won't be able to read the book.  So my plan is to not see the movie and read the book.  (The book is always better anyway.)  My husband is beside himself with joy that I am finally going to give Russian literature a try.  (And secretly he's hoping I'll love it as much as he does and I'll have to admit that he's been right all these years.)  We shall see.

Part of being the mom of a future bookworm is being a bookworm myself.  And, I suppose, it will be nice to brag to folks that I can join the elite group of readers who have tackled Dostoyevsky.

No comments:

Post a Comment