Sunday, December 9, 2012

Banned Books

I know it's not banned books awareness week, (That was September 26-October 3 2012) but some friends and I were talking about banned books and how we are always surprised by the books that end up on that list.  We figured by now we would realized that some people will find a reason to object to anything and we really shouldn't be surprised at this point in our lives, but we always are.

As a mom I was drawn to the children's books on the particular list at which we were looking.  I've always kind of  glossed over those in the past, cause who really cared.  But now I was looking at them with new eyes.  Here are the five banned (or challenged) children's books that I was most surprised to see on the list.

  1. Where's Waldo by Martin Handford - Really!?  It's just crazy pictures where you have to find Waldo in nearly impossibly crowded scenes.  How is this a banned book?
  2. The Giving Tree by Shell Silverstein - This book teaches a wonderful lesson on love, sharing, and sacrifice.  I was shocked to see it on the list!
  3. The Lorax by Dr. Seuss - This is another great book that teaches a powerful lesson about caring for our environment.  What happened to going green?
  4. Where the Sidewalk Ends by Shel Silverstein - Okay, to be fair I'm sure buried someplace in this delightful collection of poems is probably some tongue and cheek poem that annoyed someone, but I just remember how much I loved this (and all of Shel Silverstein's poetry) as a child.
  5. The Giver by Lois Lowry - This is one of my all time favorite books.  I just don't understand what could possibly be objectionable about the Newberry winner.
I enjoy reading banned books often just because they have been banned.  It brings out the rebel in me gives me a new reason to read.  Maybe one day my son and I can enjoy reading some baned books together.  (He's already got #1, 2, and 4 in his library!)

No comments:

Post a Comment