Sunday, January 13, 2013

Reading Rotation

Thanks to many generous friends and family our son already has a fairly good size library, but I noticed that I'd fallen into the habit of reading the same books to him.  The problem is that most of the time when we read, we read together in our family room and his library collection is in his nursery.  For the first four months of his life I kept the same 5 books in our family room and only occasionally added a new book.  So at this point we've only read a few of the books that he has in his book collection.  My new plan is to set out three to five new books each Sunday in our family room and return the previous week's books back to his bookshelf in his nursery.  By keeping a constant supply of new books where we usually do his reading I hope that I'll start putting his library to better use.  So far, the plan seems to be working.  I started rotating the books two weeks ago, and already it's made a big difference.  For the past two weeks I've tried to pull books that have some sort of common theme, such as books about trucks, or books by Sandra Boynton (a favorite author in this home!).  I don't know if I'll always pull books with a common theme/author, but I'd like to try to continue to do it that way.  Now, I just have to stick with the plan and remember to change the books that we have in our family room!

No comments:

Post a Comment